Our Customers Love Us!

Commercial Building Insurance

Get a Quote.

Choose from our range of insurances below

HomeBusiness InsuranceCommercial Building InsuranceCommercial Building Insurance – Who insures the Glass

Commercial Building Insurance – Who insures the Glass

Commercial Building Insurance

Commercial Building Insurance policies come with a wide range of insurance perils as standard. This standard range of perils is usually all you require to satisfy a mortgage lender. There are often extras which can be purchased and a broker or insurer can run through them with you.

Many modern insurance policy wordings will now include shop front or building glass as standard in their wording without you having to make any separate request for cover. Some other insurers simply say in the policy wording that the contract will cover everything that the landlord has a duty to repair or reinstate. Some policies will have a limit of say up to £5000 or others will make no reference to the limit at all. If you do have to include it as an optional extra, you will need to find out how much the glass in the building will cost you to replace.

To discover who is actually responsible for the glass in the building, commercial landlords will need to study the terms of the lease, whilst glass is considered to be part of the building it is usually the tenant that is responsible for its replacement in the case of breakage. This makes good sense, often the standard glass supplied by a landlord in a commercial property is not adequate for the tenants needs. Depending on the type of business often a more ornate form of glass is installed, perhaps including advertising or special forms of decorative lettering.

After studying the lease to ascertain who is responsible for the glass It’s a good idea to mention the insurance of the glass to your tenant, they will have to buy some form of commercial property insurance to cover their own business risks and its fairly easy to add glass on to this type of contract, most policies will have a section for it.

Of course if you are the owner occupier of the property you will need to ensure you have the glass covered on your own buildings insurance policy as a tenancy agreement will not usually be in force.

Buildings which involve residential letting will normally make the landlord responsible for the glass, as some insurers cover these risks under a commercial policy wording, its best to check you have the cover you need in place.

Latest News & Advice

Commercial Building Insurance for Listed Buildings

Commercial Building Insurance for Listed Buildings

At Assetsure, we offer insurance quotes for commercial buildings. However if the commercial building you require insurance for has a listed status, we would review each risk on a case-by-case basis. Generally speaking we have more success in obtaining insurance quotes for Grade2 listed commercial buildings than Grade 1....

College Insurance

College Insurance

Throughout the United Kingdom, there are a number of schools and colleges that are independently owned and are thus responsible to make their own insurance arrangements. Whilst many of the smaller colleges will rent their premises (often contained within office blocks or other commercial premises), many of the larger organizations will own their own buildings on which they will need to effect at least commercial building insurance....

Church Insurance

Church Insurance

We will endeavour to obtain insurance for your church or place of worship. We will endeavour to obtain quotations for all denominations. Regardless of whether your building is a; church, abbey, cathedral, mosques, priory, shrine, synagogue or temple, it will often involve a style of architecture or may have building materials within it’s construction that may prove expensive to repair or replace...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?


Lloyd's of London coverholders icon-thin-chevron-down

We hold prestigious Lloyd’s of London cover holder status where most of our policies are underwritten. We also place business with major UK insurers


UK based advisors icon-thin-chevron-down

All of our staff are based in the United Kingdom and we are open 7 days a week including until 8pm weekdays. We are here to assist you with your insurance needs.

Artboard 2 copy 19

Most property types covered icon-thin-chevron-down

A wide range of Commercial Buildings catered for. Cover available for Landlords or Owner Occupied

I want to insure...Hide X

    Get a Quote