Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceWho Should Subsidise The Costs of Flood Insurance?

Who Should Subsidise The Costs of Flood Insurance?

Once again the news headlines highlight the on-going squabbles regarding who should pay for the underlying costs associated with providing home insurance for policyholders who live in a floodplain...

What has been dubbed 'flood insurance' is a highly divisive and emotive issue for people who live in floodplains. Likewise, homeowners are seeing their premiums rise due to a range of factors, including the increased Global and National claims costs associated with flooding (even though a policyholder may not live in a flood plain).

So should the insurance companies be forced to provide home insurance cover by law? (especially if their underwriting statistics identify that claims costs will leave them out of pocket in flood zones).

Many people argue that people on lower incomes simply can't afford to put aside reserves, to pay for the costs of flood damage, if they cannot obtain adequate insurance cover. It's a complicated issue for both the UK insurance industry and Government ministers alike.

We recently received the following email from a worried homeowner, which we believe is absolutely typical of the types of genuine concerns, confusion and dilemmas many ordinary householders now face. How you answer many of the questions outlined by this homeowner, really depends on whether you are on the Governments side or the Insurance industry...

"I am worried that my insurance premiums are too high because my house is effectively on a flood plain, even though the house (and to the best of my knowledge the other houses in the area) have never actually experienced flooding.

When we bought the house, several years ago, I remember the survey pointing out that the houses on this estate in Crawley, Sussex, were on a flood plain, but at the time of building I believe many housing developments were built on what are effectively flood plains. I am not even sure what river the land actually is a flood plain for, I would not have imagined that when we came to get house insurance there could be the risk of us being penalised because of this.

Our house is on a built up area, on a large housing development of 3,000 homes, and to my knowledge there is only one small dry stream that runs through the entire development, but that is at least a quarter of a mile from our property. Because the surveyor advised that our property is effectively on a flood plain, are we paying too much in house insurance, because the insurance company think that the house might flood?

How do insurance companies calculate the risk of flooding? Do they go only on past experience or do they actually look at maps and the distance from large rivers? If we wanted to exclude flood cover from our house insurance, to bring the cost down or to calculate if we are being charged a large proportion for the flood cover, would we be able to do this or indeed are there other insurance companies that would cover us excluding flood cover entirely? We would then put some money into savings just in case we ever were flooded and we would have to pay for the damage ourselves if our property did ever flood. Are housing companies having to pay out for any flood damage if they have knowingly built properties on flood plains or too close to rivers.

If we did exclude flood cover, would we be excluding any other type of cover related to water damage ? for example, a friend of ours who lives in the West country, claimed for damage to her home when the bad storms and rains happened a few years ago, however, they were told that it was not flood damage, but storm damage, and whilst their insurance company was very good with handling the claim and everything, it made me think about how insurance companies can call damage caused by water, flood damage or storm damage."

At Assetsure we are happy to discuss each individual situation on a case-by-case basis. Yet, ultimately the answer to many of the questions raised by this concerned home owners lies in the home insurance policy wording. So don't glaze over when you get yours (even if it is 30 pages thick!). Actually check the wording, covers and exclusions!

We would argue that all insurance companies need to make a reasonable profit in order to offer insurance. Yet many insurance companies are lobbying hard to avoid subsidising the costs of flood damage, by insisting the taxpayer should continue to pick up the tab. Yet as we all know in these times of austerity, the taxpayer is already squeezed and additional monies seem unlikely to be forthcoming.

We feel it really falls to the largest of insurance companies who have a nationwide geographic coverage of clients, both in and out of floodplain areas, to justify what is a reasonable profit. Similarly, the Government has a moral duty to help those in our society who cannot help themselves. Flooding destroys peoples homes and businesses. It seems implausible that homeowners will be left high and dry by the insurance industry (pardon the pun). Yet any sensible person should think twice about buying a house on a floodplain, or assuming the taxpayer can afford to continue to keep bailing out special interest groups.

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone