Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceTime to Check Your Building and Contents Insurance Policies Again

Time to Check Your Building and Contents Insurance Policies Again

Whilst globally, most eyes have been on the hurricanes; Katrina and Ike that have been threatening the coast of the Caribbean & continental USA, parts of the United Kingdom have again also been suffering from the effects of torrential rain. As all today’s date, they are still over 40 flood warnings in place and with more rain forecast, parts of the country are again bracing themselves for the likelihood of property damage. The forecasts of more torrential rain, are causing concern amongst many homeowners particularly in the north east of the country, where the cleanup operation following the floods over the weekend has barely got underway. The counties of Yorkshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire, have been the worst hit with many people having to be evacuated from their homes. In Morpeath, county Northumberland, the town witnessed it’s worst flooding in over 40 yeas, almost cut off, at one point, a RAF helicopter had to be used to rescue stranded residents.

The environment agency are predicting that floods are likely to become more severe before they recede as the rainwater is now draining into the river systems. It is expected that repair work may take many months to fully complete. One off the problems of the recent spate of rainfall has been the fact that the downpours are severe and can happen in a very short space of time. In some areas, rainfall up to 10 mm has fallen in a 24 hour period, this volume of rainfall puts a severe pressure on the drainage infrastructure all UK towns and many local authorities have been caught napping with some public drains on highways being need of a much needed clearout.

Whilst the majority of UK do have some form of buildings and contents insurance, and the peril of flooding is typical. ( If you have a mortgage on your home, having flood insurance is one of the perils listed in the requirements of the Council for mortgage lenders handbook) the Association of British insurers, as stating, they believe that as many as one in four homes nationwide, do not have flood insurance. In areas that have suffered repeated flooding or flooding in the past, some people have decided to insure properties, without flooding insurance cover, because of the prohibitive cost, or because insurance cover is simply not available. Insurance companies are constantly redefining their flood maps, and now many people that are living in close proximity to water courses, often finding that their premiums are increasing or cover is simply not available.

Any homeowner that is worried about the possibility of flooding in their property, should contact the environment agency, either on the telephone or by visiting their website. Telephoning the local authority, will also be useful, they should be able to provide information as to the likelihood of flooding at most locations. On the environment agency website, useful data and maps are available, providing detailed information as to the potential risk in different postcodes. However, many homeowners have experienced fairly severe damage to their properties, even though their homes do not on at first glance appear to be susceptible to flood damage. Many local authorities have been caught out by the sheer volume of rainfall and have found that there street drainage systems have been unable to cope with the volume off water falling in a short spaces of time.

if you’re property has been damaged by flooding, it is advisable to contact your insurance company as a matter of urgency. They will certainly want to provide you with advise as to how to limit your losses and our course will be very experienced in flood restoration work. and may be able to offer immediate assistance. It is not normally advisable to give your own instructions to proceed to reinstate either your building or contents, without prior agreement from your insurance company. In many situations, the insurance company would have access to a panel of repairers, that will call at your home and then liaise directly with the insurance company. These trade’s people that are on insurance panels have usually carried at work previously in the past and thus the insurer is satisfied that there skills and expertise are adequate. By allowing the insurance company to use one of their panel off approved contractors, you also be helping to keep down the final bill, which of course could affect your insurance premium at a later date.

Whilst damage to your property is covered by flooding, most people do not realize that almost all insurance companies will also provide up to a percentage of the value of your property, in respect of alternative accommodation cover. On a building with a sum insured over 200,000 pounds, the sum insured is likely to be 40,000 pounds. This money can be used to provide temporary accommodation for you whilst your home is being reinstated. In many cases the insurance company are able to put you up on a temporary basis in a hotel, or when the restoration work looks like it will take a lengthy amount of time. they may rent a property for you. However, before you decide to book your self into a hotel or rent alternative property, please speak to your broker or insurance company to make sure that you do have this cover, under your policy, they will probably want to make arrangements for you.

When you intend to move back in to the property, please make sure that mains supplies to the premises, all water or electricity and gas have been fully checked by a qualified person. Only, when they are satisfied as to the safety of the systems, should reconnection is made. Any electrical appliances should be tried and tested by a qualified electrician before you attempt to switch them back on. Gas appliances should be tested by a Corgi registered gas engineer. There is always a temptation with flood damage items such as carpets, to dispose of them as quickly as possible. However, It is not a good idea to dispose off damaged items prior to them being inspected by an insurance company, if you must dispose of items for health reasons, taking photographs of them will certainly help to prove that they have indeed been damaged by flooding, however, always to speak to your insurance company or their representative before you to dispose of any items. This should help your claim proceed without any unnecessary delays.

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone