Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceShould Insurers Deny Home Insurance Cover in High Risk Flood Areas

Should Insurers Deny Home Insurance Cover in High Risk Flood Areas

The UK Insurance industry recently announced that the amount of money the government has allocated in the coming years for flood defences is not enough and it may consider not providing building and contents insurance for people in high risk flood areas. The insurance industry also announced bills for insurance would rise for homeowners generally to spread the overall cost of flooding as the future risk of flooding rises.

The announcement in this year's Government spending round in the Pre-Budget Report, of over £2.15billion pounds for flood defences by 2011 was not warmly welcomed. The association of British insurers said: "We really want to carry on being able to provide this service. [flood insurance] But obviously we can't keep providing it at significant loss." The trade association said that the chancellor of the exchequers recent statement showed the government had 'completely failed to grasp the importance" of improving the country's flood defences in the wake of this summer's floods. Lenders are currently having to deal with significantly more claims (around £3 billion pounds in 2007 alone) due to the record flooding in the Summer. Most worryingly the ABI stated that insurers may not wish to provide cover for people living in flood plains. This may impact over 550,000 people who would not be able to protect their homes using building home insurance (regardless of how much money they have to buy a policy).

So is there a moral obligation by the Government to fund the insurance industry's flood related losses due to claims from policy holders? The UK government is already spending huge amounts of taxpayers money on flood defences to protect high risk areas. Other western countries are not matching these investments. Should new homes be built on floodplains in the first place?. Should the construction industry foot the bill for adequate new local drainage systems where run off from new developments only makes the potential flooding impact worse?.

There is currently an informal compromise agreement between the UK's leading insurance organisations, the private sector and the Environment Department of the Government, (known as the Statement of Principles) which sets out to jointly define shared responsibilities for paying for the UK's flood defence infrastructure. The agreements states that insurers will renew flood cover for existing customers, provided 'adequate' flood defences are in place.

What 'adequate' flood defences actually means is a matter of debate. The antiquated drainage systems of the United Kingdom need to be upgraded to cope with the additional run off from heavy rainfall as climate change creates more and more freak weather conditions. The announcement that insurance companies may not provide cover for potentially millions of people in affected areas has been attacked as an extreme action to take. David Blunkett, the former home secretary: 'It will lead people to conclude that the industry wishes to remove any commercial risk to their own profits and place that risk instead on current and future home insurance policy holders." The essential political negotiation between the government and the insurance industry continues behind the scenes as well as in the media.

The loss of electricity to almost a million people in the area of Tewksbury (due to the fact a key sub power station almost had to close due to rising flood waters) highlighted the fact that some government installations were at high risk of severe flooding. The incident also highlighted there is confusion amongst the local authorities and the Department of the Environment with regards to crisis management and prevention strategy. There is no legal obligation for all Government installations to be protected form flooding.

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone