Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceHome Alarm Systems Guide

Home Alarm Systems Guide

Home Alarm Systems

Installing an alarm system at your home, may give you extra peace of mind and may also qualify you for a discount from your home insurance premium. But what sort should you install and who should carry out the installation for you? There are a variety of home alarms on the market, and here we attempt to explain the different types available. First, it is worth remembering, that if you are thinking of installing an alarm because you require a discount from your home insurance premium, that’s not all alarm systems will qualify you for a discount. In many cases, particularly where you have a high sum insured in respect of contents, your insurer, may want you to have a certain type of alarm installed and you should thus discuss the matter with them, before installation is carried out.

Before we start to discuss the various home alarms available, it is worth pointing out that most thieves are opportunists, often they will pass by a house that seems to have good quality, security systems in place. Every extra security feature at your home will help provide a deterrent and even a dummy alarm box fitted to a wall, provides a good visible deterrent, in many cases, this is enough to deter a burglar and make him consider moving on to another property.

Types of Home Alarms– Home Alarm Systems generally fall into two groups; Group A & Group B. If we start with Group B alarms, as these are the most basic and include ‘ Bells only” devices which many homeowners will consider within their capabilities to fit themselves. There are a large number on the market, and in fact most DIY stores will sell a system, which you can quite easily install your self. The kits will usually come with a control panel, door and window sensors and a nice brightly coloured box with a bell alarm for affixing to the outside of your home. These basic alarms are simple and inexpensive, they are not monitored and are designed to make a noise and hopefully frighten the burglar away. Some of these systems now come with a dialler option, this will send a text message to your phone if the alarm is triggered, It is then up to you to decide what to do about it. You can of course choose to have this type of alarm professionally fitted but unless the company you choose is accredited, then the level of police response you may obtain will be very limited.

If you want anything more sophisticated than bells only and you require it to be monitored, you will need to employ the services of a professional installation company. These will fit alarms that can be classified as Group A. One of your first considerations before hiring a company is to ascertain if they are in fact accredited. The four Inspectorates in the United Kingdom are; the National Approval Council for Security Systems (NACOSS), the Security Systems and Alarm Inspection Board (SSAIB), Alarm Inspectorate Security Council (AISC) and Integrity 2000.An alarm installer that is approved by one of these bodies, can install systems that are” monitored”- usually by a monitoring centre who if the alarm is triggered will notify you or the police depending on the type of service you have elected to have.

Why must an approved company fit a Category A Alarm? – police statistics show that in recent years over 92% of all alarm activations nationally have been false alarms, caused by user error or faulty equipment. The Association of Chief Police Officers England, Wales & Northern Ireland (ACPO) and the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland (ACPOS) thus decided that in view of the amount of resources being wasted in dealing with these false alarms, they would need to move towards a system where by they would only reply to alarms where it had been confirmed, an incident was probably taking place. These associations then decided that only certain types of alarms fitted by certain manufactures would be approved and that the systems would have to have Confirmed Alarm Technology, incorporated within their design. Confirmed Technology ensures that that 2 signals must be sent within a 30 to 60 minute period, before the monitoring station will ask the police to attend.

If you have an alarm, or are buying a home that already has an alarm fitted and the device was installed prior to the 1st October 2001, providing your property is within England, Wales & Northern Ireland, you will retain the right to pass unconfirmed alarms to the police, until such time as they withdraw the response, after which an upgrade to include confirmed alarm technology will be required if you want the police to resume responses. Response is usually withdrawn after a number of false alarms.

After this date, all new intruder alarm systems are required to be installed with confirmed technology, this applies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, in Scotland it is only recommended to do so and is not mandatory. Also Alarm systems monitored by independent companies and installed after 1st October 2005 that require police response must conform to PD6662:2004 standard and the latest edition of DD243

The ACPO have devised a method of dealing with alarm calls, depending on the type of device fitted and the previous number of ‘False Alarms’ logged., They call this the ACPO Unified Intruder Alarm Policy and it has been designed to cut down the wastage of police resources. Response varies depending on the type of equipment you have.

Type A – Remote Signalling Alarms – these are mainly alarms that signal an Approved Central Monitoring Stations when the alarm is triggered. These are often referred to as ‘Central Station Alarms’. The monitoring is usually carried out by the installation company. They must be maintained and used in accordance with British Standard 4737, BS 7042 (high security systems) or BS 6799 Class VI (wire-free alarms). Current Police policy require that you can provide two ‘key holders’ who have been trained to operate your burglar alarm, are reachable by telephone, to attend the premises at any time, are able to access the whole of the premises and can attend the scene within 20 minutes if so required. It should be remembered that the police have been known to withdraw response following persistent failure of key holders to attend within 20 minutes.

Often, when installing these alarms there is a delay as the installation company seek police approval for the property. The police have to provide a registration number and the alarm is allocated a Unique Reference Number ( URN). With these devices, if activated, the police will assume that an incident is taking place, they will attend as quickly as possible but of course other incidents may take precedent and on some occasions, they may be limited by manpower. The actual response you receive will depend on a number of factors. If you have had any false alarms in the previous 12 months period, police response to your home may be lowered. The policy have devised a’ Level” system where they will attend you property based on these factors

LEVEL 1 – Immediate Response. In England, Wales & N/Ireland – 1-2 false calls will probably result in a downgrade of the service whilst in Scotland, they are a little tolerant 1-4 false calls will be considered.

LEVEL 2 – Police attendance may be delayed due to other priorities- In England, Wales & N/Ireland,after 2 false call you are likely to be downgraded whilst in Scotland it is after 4 calls.

LEVEL 3 – Police response is withdrawn and usually a written letter is sent to the Key-holder.

These are subject to review and change and may vary from area to area, you will need to frequent yourself with the rules that apply to your own location.

It is worth pointing out at this juncture, that with many high net worth homes, the insurance company will insist that an alarm system is in operation at the premises and that the level of response is kept at a certain level. If you receive instruction from the police that you response level has been reduced and you fail to tell your insurance company, you may find your cover is compromised.

Type B – Audible Only Alarms you wont be able to expect much Police Action if you have one of these devices fitted. Unique numbers are not provided and of course the bulk of devices are not even monitored. If you want the police to attend, you are going to have to rely on independent confirmation ( such as a neighbour) calling the police to confirm that an incident is taking place.

For a Home Insurance Quote contact Assetsure. We are able to offer insurance for a wide range of UK property types including nonstandard construction

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone