Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceFlipping Between Your Main Residence and Your Second Home

Flipping Between Your Main Residence and Your Second Home

Flipping Houses- What's it all about

For the huge numbers of people with second homes across the UK, the importance of minimising their capital gains tax is imperative. Many people have purchased second homes to let out the tenants as a traditional holiday rental. Many second homeowners have purchased properties in the countryside to get away from the urban hustle and bustle stress of city life.

All these people, need to take professional advice regarding the rules surrounding capital gains tax on second homes. The rules are becoming quite topical due to the fiasco over MPs expenses regarding blatant and immoral exploitation of taxpayers money, using their MP's second home allowance. Their actions have put the political spotlight of the concept of 'flipping' between their main residence and second home.

In the UK, everybody is entitled to elect their main residence and benefit from principal private residence relief. This means that they do not pay capital gains tax on their own home that they live in as their main residence. For second home owners, the ability to reallocate their main residence provides an opportunity to minimise capital gains tax bills. This is because there is no PPR relief in respect of a holiday home or second home. So by flipping or reallocating their elected main residence, tax bills can be minimised. Despite the fact that individuals can spend more time in the property that is not elected as their main residence i.e. their family home, the principal of election is still valid in the eyes of the Inland Revenue.

Following a purchase, a second home owner must choose to elect the second home as their main residence within 24 months of the purchase. The onus will also be on the seller to prove that they were living in that second home in order to qualify for selection as their main residence, after that period. This may involve transferring bank, postal and electoral details of the period to prove that you are resident of the second home. There are other factors to consider regarding capital gains tax including taper relief, individual allowances and whether the property was rented out. In addition, an unmarried couple may each own a home that qualifies as the principal residence but a married couple may only nominate one property and must select jointly.

With an increase in the number of empty properties across the UK, due to the recession and credit crunch, people are struggling to sell their homes. More and more people are choosing to let out the home that they currently live in (but have struggled to sell), in order to finance the move elsewhere. This is creating huge increase in the number of accidental landlords UK and an increase in the number of people owning second homes. Ironically, the original buy to let boom started by people investing in second properties as a means of generating an income or supplementing their pension. Now those same landlords are struggling to sell the properties due to a lack of credit facilities for buyers.

Regardless of whether you own a second home as a holiday let or are just using a second home as a family getaway, finding adequate second home insurance can sometimes be a bit of a struggle. Insurers will want to know how frequently you access the property, and the type of property it is. They will try and assess the likelihood of a break-in due to being left empty, or the possibility of a burst or leaking pipe causing internal damage. For the purposes of an insurance proposal form, you must answer these questions honestly to provide the broker or insurer with a practical overview of the risks involved with your real second home that you spend less time in, (even though you may have declined this home is your main residence tax purposes).

Most people's eyes glaze over when it comes to investigating the complicated area of capital gains tax laws and rules. Its always imperative to seek the advice of qualified independent financial adviser, to help you decide whether or not allocating your main residence as a second home is a sensible thing to do. It could save you thousands!!!

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone