Our Customers Love Us!

Home Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHome InsuranceContents Insurance UK – What is Covered?

Contents Insurance UK – What is Covered?

Contents Insurance UK -What is Covered?

All contents insurance policies are slightly different in the range of perils that are on offer. However they all follow a fairly similar range of perils as listed below. Remember that under Contents you should insure pretty much everything that is in your Home (Anything you would take with you if you left the property for good). The main perils are:

  • Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake, impact by aircraft road vehicle or animal
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Leakage of oil
  • Leakage of water from a fixed central heating system or from fixed appliances
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Storm tempest or flood
  • Falling trees or aerials
  • Subsidence heave or landslip
  • Loss of rent or alternative accommodation following damage caused to contents
  • Accidental damage to fixed glass in furniture or ceramic hobs or to sound reproducing equipment, televisions, videos, CD players etc
  • Cover for Damage caused by the tenant is sometimes covered
  • Contents away from the home on a temporary basis (whilst at work or in a Hotel), the cover is quite restricted and All Risks cover should be considered if you have valuable items
  • Occupiers Liability covers (for further details see our liability article)

Options – in addition to the above you have a couple of options for additional covers.

  • Accidental Damage – this extends the policy cover to include breakages in the Home. This is a fairly standard option and extends the cover to all other items. It is usually fairly inexpensive
  • All Risks – this extends cover to include items taken out of the home and will include accidental breakage and loss cover. You may choose to have cover on a specified or unspecified basis

As well as the above and depending on your needs, you may be able to add sections to your cover. Some of the options available are. Annual Travel Insurance (usually for the whole family). Small Craft Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance. One worthwhile addition to any contents insurance policy is Family Legal Expenses cover, this is usually fairly cheap and cover can include, Employment disputes, Domestic matters ( problems with your neighbours and consumer disputes. Most insurers will want confirmation that all of your contents are only used for personal usage, if you run a business at home, this will need to be declared and it may affect your premium, business equipment is not normally covered and if you work at home in any capacity, this will also need to be declared.

Typical Exclusions– as with building insurance, there are a number of exclusions under a Contents Insurance Policy and this document should be studied carefully. As mentioned in our article on claims, most insurers now offer new for old cover in respect of this type of insurance. It must be remembered though that it is not normal to have new for old cover on clothing, there will be a few other exclusions and again your policy document should be studies carefully.

  • Cars, Motorcycles, caravan & trailers, documents, livestock
  • Losses if the home is unoccupied for a period of time ( usually in excess of 30 days)
  • Theft of Money unless in involves forcible or violent entry to the property
  • Rot, vermin, insects, fungus, corrosion
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • War, Terrorism, revolution, Civil War
  • Sonic Booms
  • Radioactive contamination

For a Home Insurance Quote contact Assetsure. We are able to offer insurance for a wide range of Uk property types including nonstandard construction

Latest News & Advice

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

Types Door Window Locks

Types Door Window Locks

Types of Door and Window Locks – when purchasing a home insurance policy, you may find that your insurance company want you to have certain security measures in force at your property. These should be studied most carefully as without the correct protection being in force, you may find your cover compromised in the event of a claim. For most people, this involves having good quality door and window locks. Good physical security at your property, will be of a far greater benefit in deterring Theft than having an alarm fitted, but not being a lock expert, have do you discover if you have the correct locks fitted at your home?...

Subsidence Structural Problems

Subsidence Structural Problems

Preventing or Dealing with Subsidence and Structural Problems.Whilst subsidence is usually covered by a building insurance policy, it is definitely something that you do not want to happen at your property if at all possible. Claims for subsidence can be on the large side ( hence the reason for the standard policy excess being £1000) and even if the building is repaired by the insurance company, you may find that’s in the future, insurance is harder to source ( and possibly more expensive) and the market value of the property and it’s marketability may also diminish...

Why choose our specialist insurance cover?

Artboard 2 copy 18

Home Insurance from Assetsure icon-thin-chevron-down

Our Home Insurance can provide cover for your Buildings, Contents and Personal Effects. Monthly payments available

Artboard 2 copy 20

Legal Assistance as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies include Legal assistance as standard up to £50,000 This offer Legal protection for problems relating to employment, contracts, property and personal injury etc.

Artboard 2 copy 21

Home Emergency as Standard icon-thin-chevron-down

All our policies cover Home Emergency as standard up to £500. this offers protection against unexpected events such as the failure of your main heating system, blockage of drains or failure of your domestic gas or electricity supply

Artboard 2 copy 22

£1,000,000 Cover for Buildings icon-thin-chevron-down

We automatically provide you with £1,000,000 cover for rebuilding cost of your property, ideal if you are unsure of your re-building cost.

Artboard 2 copy 17

Excellent service offered icon-thin-chevron-down

We like to offer all our customers a first class service, which is backed up by our Trust pilot ratings. We are open 6 days a week to assist you with your enquiries.


Instant cover and policies icon-thin-chevron-down

Most of our policies you can now buy online and receive instant documentation. Of course, you are more than welcome to call us and we can provide your cover over the phone