Our Customers Love Us!

Property Insurance

Get a Quote.

Choose from our range of insurances below

HomeProperty InsuranceCold Weather Leads to More Home Insurance Claims

Cold Weather Leads to More Home Insurance Claims

Just when we thought that we had seen the back of the cold weather, the forecasters are stating that it’s about to become colder again, leading to more misery for home owners. There is a definite correlation between the cold weather and the rise in home insurance claims. During the winter months, there is a definite spike in claims, in essence, the colder the weather, the more weather related claims are received. The situation is not being helped by the state of the economy and the cost of fuel to heat homes.

Many hard pressed families are cutting back on heating and alas, colder houses, do tend to suffer more from burst pipes and anyone who has been unlucky enough to suffer from water damage at their home will tell you, its a very unpleasant experience.

The up shot of all of this, is that beleaguered home owners, face another drain on their finances, as home insurance premiums creep up following a number of years of bad weather claims and a freezing cold end to the year.

Many insurers are facing dwindling reserves following an influx of claims and the only way to replenish these reserves is to increase premiums. From the 4th of January 2011, the government increased taxation on home insurance products by 1% and although this is not a major increase, it doesn’t help, when premiums are rising anyway.

There are a number of ways to help keep your premium as low as possible and surely the simplest and easiest is to not to have to make a claim from your policy unless absolutely necessary. Many insurance companies now offer generous no claims bonus discounts which of course are lost if a claim is made.

Implementing a program of maintenance to make sure that pipes are well lagged and that drains are clear of debris and rubbish may help you prevent a loss at your home. Having your boiler serviced on a regular basis can help to ensure that your device does not break down as soon as the weather turns cold and of course, a service will also keep you peace of mind as to the safety of the apparatus.

If you are unlucky enough to suffer a loss, you will need to notify your home insurance company as soon as possible of the occurrence. Full claim instructions are usually found in the policy document.

Latest News & Advice

Britain needs more Flats

Britain needs more Flats

We can trace the need to convert houses (including other buildings, not originally designed to be used as domestic dwelling homes) in to flats, back at least 150 years and possibly even further back to the time of the industrial revolution, which occurred in Great Britain during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century....

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm Dry Rot

Woodworm, Dry Rot and Wet Rot. One of the most costly maintenance problems for homeowners is woodworm, dry rot and wet rot. If left untreated it can huge amounts of damage to the interior of your home. There are treatments and remedies to prevent it’s spread and to eliminate the problem it becomes critical. Woodworm is most commonly caused by the furniture beetle which leave larvae boreholes inside the major woodwork elements of a property. These area include the roof timbers, joists, staircase and floorboards. Woodworm can also infest ordinary household furniture causing a home insurance claim problem....

When Kids Leave

When Kids Leave

When Kids Leave Home and Go to University. When children leave home, either on a permanent or semi permanent basis, some attention needs to applied to your home insurance policy. One of the first reasons, children leave home is to attend college or university, in the first year, many opt to live in the halls of residence or some will move in to a rental property with perhaps some friends. Which ever, they choose; you will need to make sure that you have adequate insurance for them. Although there are some specialist student insurers, in some cases it is possible to extend a buildings and contents home insurance policy to include children’s belongings whilst they are away at college or university. If you decide to take this option, you will need to check the level of cover on offer, the amount provided may be on the low side as possibly could be single article limit. It will be no good accepting a policy with a single article limit of £500 if you child has a £1000 laptop....

I want to insure...Hide X

    Get a Quote