Our Customers Love Us!

Holiday Homes Insurance

Get a Quote

Get Quote

HomeProperty InsuranceHoliday Homes InsuranceWorking Abroad Insurance

Working Abroad Insurance

Almost everyone travelling abroad will have to consider taking out some kind of insurance protection and persons travelling abroad for work purposes will need extra protection. Working abroad insurance falls in to two main categories; Private Medical Insurance and Travel Insurance. Sometimes, individuals can be confused by the different covers afforded by each policy but quite simply private medical insurance is designed to provide medical cover in the country you are living (along the same lines as Private Medical Insurance in the United Kingdom as an alternative to using the National Health service). Travel Insurance provides medical emergency cover and a number of other sections such as Cancellation & Curtailment, Baggage, Money And Liability. If you are an Expatriate or sent to work abroad and take out Private Medical Insurance, then the insurance company will be informed of your activities and the premium charged will be rated accordingly. However, a standard Travel Insurance policy will not cover your for working abroad and you will need specialist cover. Almost all Travel Insurance declarations will ask you for the purpose of your trip and will want to know your activities abroad The bulk of UK Travel Insurance is arranged for Holiday Home makers, if you are working abroad and need insurance and are going to rely on Travel Insurance, then you must inform the insurance company of any work that you intend to carry out so as they may factor this in to their quotation.

Travel Insurance– Travel Insurance is a type of insurance contract that is usually arranged on a short term basis although is fairly easy to obtain covers for up to 12 months duration. The policy falls in to various sections ( not just medical) and is designed to meet the costs of misfortunes that happen whilst you are preparing to travel, are travelling and are on your way back from travelling. cover does vary from insurer to insurer but in the main, the policy sections are fairly similar. Working abroad is now very popular, some people have emigrated and need to work but in the main working abroad is undertaken for short periods of time to obtain experience of living in an overseas country, this situation is much practiced by gap year students and mainly as the period away is for a short period of time, medical cover is obtained as part of a Travel Insurance policy. If you are travelling and working abroad within the EU, then reciprocal health cover can be obtained by carrying a E111 from ( now being replaced with a card). The E111 card will provide you with free emergency medical cover but you may find that not all eventualities are covered. Some important considerations for person working abroad and considering taking Travel Insurance cover:-

  • You must inform the insurance company of any work you intend to undertake whilst working abroad. Depending on the type of work and the country you will be working in, your premium may be loaded. If you do not tell the insurance company that you intend to work abroad, you will not be covered in respect of any medical emergency;
  • Beware of Annual Travel Insurance policies that limit the time you can spend abroad. The fact you have an annual policy doesn’t mean that you can simply be away from home for 12 months. Many of the cheaper annual travel polices place a maximum duration of trip exclusion on the policy. You may find that you are only entitled to be out of the county for up to a certain number of days of time. If this is 30 days are you are working abroad for longer period, a claim occurring after this period will not be met. Also please remember that once you have left the United Kingdom, most insurers are very reluctant to extend cover. Steps should be taken before you embark to work abroad, that you have the correct insurance policy in place.
  • Most Travel Insurance polices are issued on the basis that you will start your Trip in the United Kingdom and finish in the United kingdom. If you are travelling around and your final destination is not the United Kingdom, make sure your Travel Insurance provider is aware of your plans.

Private Health Insurance – whilst many people do not consider the benefits of Health Insurance in a country with a National Healthy system, if you are living abroad and working than having your own Private Medical policy is vital, the benefits you will receive are similar to the United Kingdom and to a certain extent will be based on where you are living and the level of cover you require. If you are working abroad then medical bills can quickly mount up and if you are travelling to a country outside of EU, you may find free cover to be extremely limited, even in France, recent proposed alterations to the French National Health system have left many UK Expats very exposed to medical bills. International private medical insurance schemes are really designed for person who believe they will be out of the country for in excess of 6 months. Cost savings can not normally be obtained by buying from local markets and thus for sake of convenience, buying from a UK company is often the preferred choice. The actual premium you will pay will vary from county to country and on your age, in some counties have a private medical insurance plan is compulsory. If you are an employee and are working abroad, your insurance should be taken care of by your employer but you may not always find that their company plan is as comprehensive as you would wish. Independent research should always be carried out to establish a comparison between covers. One of the most important factors to take in to consideration is pre existing medical conditions. All pre existing conditions must be provided to the insurance provider who will. then make a decision as to whether cover is available to you. If you are working abroad for any length of time, it is also worth considering taking our dental insurance.

Other considerations for working abroad – In some countries you cannot simply turn up and start working. Depending on where you are going and how long you intend to work, you may need to obtain a working permit or VISA. If these documents are required and you have not obtained them you may be in serious breech of that counties laws. Penalties may be quite severe and is recommended that before embarking to work abroad, you thoroughly research the laws applicable in your intended destination. Also, remember to check out the rate of pay you are expecting to earn from working abroad, always take in to consideration currency fluctuations and the fact that you may have to accept a local exchange rate. If you are intending to support yourself from your earnings make sure that this is viable, having access to back up money is essential. Many foreign companies that offer work abroad, will require you to have certain qualifications, check what these are before you go and take copies if necessary.

Latest News & Advice

Spanish Rental Property

Spanish Rental Property

For many people, buying a Spanish Rental Property is the first step to moving on a permanent basis, often people will spend part of the year at their Holiday Home and for the rest of the time it is empty. Renting out your own home can help pay the bills especially if you have a mortgage on the property to contend with. Spain is a very popular tourist destination and with the right amount of advertising, you may find renting your property to be quite easy....

Spanish Property Contracts

Spanish Property Contracts

With all the talk about house prices in Spain we thought it would be a good idea to run over a few tips for purchasing a home and some things to look out for. The housing market in Spain is a bit up and down at the moment so take your time before you rush in to any purchases. The golden rule of purchasing from a selection of apartment rentals in spain is never sign any legal document until you have had it checked over by your solicitor....

Spanish CGT Rebate

Spanish CGT Rebate

During the last 20 years the price of holiday homes in Spain have enjoyed an unprecedented boom, with values reaching a peak in 2007. Many UK residents though decided to dispose of their property and were subject to capital gains tax, levied by the Spanish government. If you were previously the owner of a holiday home property in Spain and disposed of the property between 1997 and the end of 2006, you would have paid 35% capital gains tax on the sale whereas Spanish residents only paid 15% tax. Many thought this was unfair and The European Court of Justice have now confirmed legal arguments put forward by a Spanish lawyer, representing a larger number of sellers that this difference in the amount of tax charged, contravenes European Community Treaty discrimination rules and should not have been charged at this level....